An aging exterior and abandoned concession stand are all that remain of the Edwards Atlantic multi-screen theatre. Soon, the theatre, which has operated for several decades, won’t even have that.
The Atlantic, Alhambra’s longest standing theatre and city staple, shut its doors permanently and was the last “Edwards Theater” to remain after 72 years the movie chains 72 years of operation.
The theatre is slated for demolition on July 1, according to an article published to the Alhambra Source website. Offices for the Los Angeles Housing Authority will be constructed on the leveled property.
James Edwards III first purchased the plot of land in 1939 for $400. Space for a second auditorium was purchased next door, to create one of the area’s first multiplexes, according to the article.
By the early 90’s, Edwards owned more than 425 movie screens across the southland, the first of which was built in Monterey Park at Garfield and Hellman avenues.
Three years after Edwards’ death in 1997, Edwards Cinemas filed for bankruptcy under the direction of his sons. The Regal Entertainment Group has since taken ownership of the company, according to the article.
Though most theatres were renamed following the acquisition, Regal allowed The Edwards Atlantic to maintain its original flagship name.