SGVJOURNAL, West Valley Journal, Monterey Park News

Switch to desktop

Alhambra Holds Rally Wednesday to Close '710 Gap'

• By David Barron

CloseGapLogoALHAMBRA – This city will be joined by the cities of Monterey Park, San Gabriel, San Marino and Rosemead on Wednesday, July 10 in a “710 Day Celebration” in Alhambra to protest the years of delay in closing the freeway gap that causes bumber-to-bumper traffic in their cities.

The “celebration” will be held at from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the corner of Fremont and Valley where the city has a huge monument representing the “Alhambra.”

The Alhambra event is free and will include presentations and booths to raise awarness about air quality and the proposed extension of the 710 Freeway from the San Bernardino Freeway to the 210 freeway in Pasadena.

Alhambra states: “If you’ve ever sat in a traffic jam on the I-10 or SR-710 freeways – or had to wait what seemed like an “eternity” at a local traffic light, you need to come and support Alhambra’s “710 Day” celebration.”

The event will be a fun, family-friendly event to be held at Fremont & Valley from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. an Alhambra press release stated.

The City of Alhambra is hosting the event with educational presentations and booths to
raise awareness about air quality and reducing traffic congestion by “Closing the Gap”
via the proposed SR-710 extension from Alhambra to Pasadena.

The event is supported by the 710 Coalition including the cities of Monterey Park, San Gabriel, San Marino and Rosemead. Officials and residents of those cities have been invited to attend.

Parents are asked to taking part in fun activities such as face-painting,children’s games and other activities related to transportation. Additionally, there will be energy-efficient car displays, food truck vendors, live entertainment and much more.

After decades of fighting stall tactics by those few – mostly the city of South Pasadena -- who oppose the freeway’s completion, public support for the completion of the gap has grown significantly and recently completed technical studies provide even more support for the completion of a tunnel project., the city of Alhambra said in a press release.

They also issued the following statistics.

• Over 20% of the current daily traffic along local streets is seeking the I-10 and
I-210 freeways to travel north/south; these are through trip that never stop
along the local streets.
• The 710N Gap Closure actually finishes three freeways: the SR 110, the I-210
and the I-10. Closing the gap would improve traffic congestion on all surrounding
freeways, including the I-5.
• Transit and bus route improvements would make only minor changes in reducing
congestion, pollution and travel time.
• A proposed new transit system that would require up to 100 eminent domain property
acquisitions has only a moderate number of patrons and would only reduce traffic
congestion by less than 4%.
• A new rapid bus route would duplicate much of existing local bus service, hurt
businesses along Atlantic Boulevard and Fair Oaks Avenue by taking out parking
and loading areas for the larger buses and would only reduce traffic congestion by
a little over 3%.
• Closing the gap with a freeway tunnel between Alhambra and Pasadena would
reduce local traffic and freeway congestion by over 20% and eliminate congestion
at over 22% of the intersections studied so far.
• The health benefits alone related to reducing traffic congestion are enormous.
• In 2008 the voters of Los Angeles County overwhelmingly voted for Measure “R”
and the 710N Gap Closure Tunnel.
“We all eagerly wait for the day when we can “Close the Gap” once and for all” the Alhambra Press Release.

2013 SGVJournal. Developed and Designed by Charlene on Green

Top Desktop version