Beverly Wan, a 6thgrade student at Hillcrest Elementary School, is the spelling champion of Garvey School District!
She beat out 26 other students from the 4th through the six grades from a dozen other schools in the district by spelling the word "indigestion." She had previously beat out her closes competitor, Roland Fang, a 4th grader at Dewey School by spelling the "combustible."
Young Miss Wan, who is the daughter of Sue and Paulson Wan, will now go on to the finals sponsored by the Los Angeles County Schools.
Hillcrest Principal Robin Libby who served as the Spell Master hosted the event. Serving as judges were Kathy Apel, supervisor of Media services in the Gate Program, and John Turmes, principal at Marshall School. The program was organized under the supervision of Anita Chu, assistant Superintendent of Instructional Services and District Superintendent Virginia Peterson.
The following is a list of the participants and their schools:
- Bitely School: Kathleen Luu, Benjamin Yap and Michael Tran.
- Emerson School, Jason Ma, Alison Ho and Jenny Wong.
- Marshall School – Angel Hernandez, Joan Phan, and David Wang.
- Rice School: Elim Li, Brianna Ly, and Halle Trang.
- Dewey School: Roland Fang, Lisa Zhou, and Shirley Zhong.
- Hillcrest School, Jodie Yu, Kara Lau and Beverly Wan.
- Monterey Vista School: Nicole Ang, Sabina Chen and Stephanie Torosian.
- Sanchez School: Deryn Gomez, Emily Trieu, and Diego Docto.