SGVJOURNAL, West Valley Journal, Monterey Park News

Switch to desktop

Mistakes Lead To ELAC Loss

  • By Freddy Aleman
ELACfootball2VAN NUYS - 9/4/10 -Turnover, penalties and an inability to execute cost East Los Angeles College dearly Saturday night as the Huskies were defeated, 28-21, by Los Angeles Valley College.

"It was one of those games," said Husky coach Lynn Cain. "Both squads made mistakes. (L.A. Valley) let us back in the game, but we can say the same thing also."

Heading into the second half, the Huskies had blown a seven-point halftime lead after trailing by 14 points in the first quarter.

Numerous penalties on both sides of the ball, turnovers and bad on-field execution tarnished the Huskies chance at victory. The Huskies missed two field-goal attempts, botched a punt and failed to recover three Monarch fumbles.

Cain referred to the sloppy play as a result of it being the Huskies first game of the regular season.

"There were little penalties that were called (against us), but for the most part we played well," said Cain.

"We pretty much shot ourselves in the foot," said Husky tailback Aubrey Haynes, who rushed for 49 yards on seven carries while scoring two touchdowns. "We had too many opportunities to score but we couldn't."

Heading into their regular season opener the Huskies were a short-handed team, as they were missing defensive back Eric McHenry, wideout Michael Allen and All-American wide receiver Anthony Denham due to injury. Denham and Allen's status for next week's game remains in limbo as they are day-to-day.

With Allen and Denham out, life would only get tougher for freshmen quarterback Mike Oliver. Oliver, from North Torrance High, won a highly competitive quarterback battle this off-season.

Early in the first quarter the Huskies fell behind by seven, as Monarch signal caller Dan Owen's 2-yard touchdown run gave the home team a 7-0 advantage.

After the Monarchs had gone up by 14 points, the Huskies heading into the second quarter would finally get on the scoreboard. A five minute, 11-play drive was capped off by Haynes, as he bulldozed his way for the touchdown, cutting the Monarchs' lead in half.

Following a fumble recovery inside the Monarch five-yard line, tailback Isam Pegues would tie the game at 14.

After a three-and-out series by the Monarchs, the Huskies would take their first lead just before halftime, as Haynes once again bullied his way into the end zone, running through four Monarch would be tacklers.

Halfway through the third quarter the Monarchs would tie the game, as Travion Odom caught a fade pass on the left corner of the end zone for the touchdown.

Going into the final quarter, both squads seemed to be struggling offensively.

However with just over seven minutes remaining the game, the Monarchs would regain the lead, as a 52-yard cutback run down the right sideline by Germi Morrison put the Huskies in a pickle.

Trailing, 28-21, the Huskies tried vigorously to tie the game, but dropped passes by Bryan Munoz and Lanny Delgado and a late interception by Monarch cornerback Chris Martinez ended the hope of a Husky comeback.

"We are going to keep the moral up and reload and get our guys going again," said Cain, discussing what he planned to do to keep his teams' spirit high before next week's game against Santa Monica College.

Freshmen Oliver made his team debut passing for 147 yards on 29 attempts.

Husky Guillermo Duran had a marvelous day defensively, sacking the Monarch quarterback three times while piling up four tackles.

2013 SGVJournal. Developed and Designed by Charlene on Green

Top Desktop version