SGVJOURNAL, West Valley Journal, Monterey Park News

Switch to desktop

ELAC loses on last second FG

  • By Freddy Aleman
SANTA MONICA - 9/11/10 - It was a hard fought devastating loss for the East Los Angeles College football team on Saturday night as the Huskies were defeated, 6-3, by host Santa Monica College.

A last second field goal by place kicker Jonny Palmer gave Santa Monica (2-0) the victory as time expired.

"Our guys played hard and played tough," said Husky coach Lynn Cain. "(Our) defense is playing a lot better this year. However, offensively we got to find a way to make things work."

The game was a brutally contested battle between two exceptional defensive teams. Santa Monica defensive back Brian Hawthorne picked off Husky quarterback Richard Ragland twice, and also intercepted one pass from Mike Oliver. The Huskies weren't too shabby defensively themselves either, as the team recorded five sacks and had three interceptions.

Offensively, yards were scarce for both squads. The Corsairs gained 166 yards of total offense, while the Huskies (0-2) totaled only 172 yards.

Early on during the first half, it appeared the Huskies were dominating the line of scrimmage. While their aerial assault was non-existent, the Huskies rushing attack was fierce. Husky halfback Aubrey Haynes carried the bulk load of the ground attack, as rushed for 64 yards on 12 carries in the first half. However, late in the second quarter Haynes left the game with an apparent leg injury, as he did not return to the game.

With a scoreless game heading into the second half, it wasn't until near the end of the third quarter that the games first points were scored. Corsair kicker Palmer nailed a 31-yard field goal to give Santa Monica a 3-0 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

Trailing, 3-0, with 10:07 remaining in the ball game, the Husky defense stepped up and made a crucial play. Husky sophomore defensive back Darius Turner made a tremendous diving interception near the midfield, to return possession back to the Huskies.

On the ensuing drive, Husky quarterback Oliver, after struggling for most of the game, found his rhythm and led a good Husky scoring drive. Oliver went four for four on the drive, connecting with wideout Lanny Delgado and Jared Davis. The drive was capped off by a 26-yard field goal by place kicker Eduardo Rodriquez.

With the game tied, 3-3, the Huskies had possession of the ball with just over a minute remaining in the game. As the Husky offense was unable to muster any yardage, they were forced to punt the ball back to the Corsairs. With seven second left in the game, Corsair defender Chris Barnes blocked Husky punter Marco Pulido's punt attempt, as the Corsairs recovered the loose ball at the Husky four-yard line.

"Santa Monica is a good team," said Cain after the game. "(Santa Monica is) playing good football. They played us well tonight."

It was a devastating loss for the Huskies. Some Husky players after the game seemed to have their heads down as they were heartbroken.

"It's called competition," Cain said. "If guys aren't throwing their helmets on the field, then let me go find another profession. The guys have been working hard since February. Both teams played hard, but we got to be ready to play better."

Several Husky players left the game injured. Haynes along with fellow tailback Isam Pegues left the game with leg injuries. Two Husky offensive linemen were carried off the field injured also.

The next Husky football game is Sept. 18 as they host Glendale College at Weingart Stadium at 6 p.m.

2013 SGVJournal. Developed and Designed by Charlene on Green

Top Desktop version